Sunday, 27 July 2014

Garrick's Villa







Garrick's Villa

Over the last few weeks we have been working at the Grade 1 Listed building in Hampton South West London.The plasterwork in at least one of the rooms is likely to have been designed by Robert Adam and carried out by the Joseph Rose Plastering company in the 1770s. After investigating the plaster moldings in the imaginatively named Adams room it looks like a mixture of hand modelled stucco and cast elements .I am not at the moment down to repair the moulding but I did some cleaning and casting out of interest in case too much is lost.

We are however doing all the flat work lath work lime plastering and finishing and you can see the results so far below  






Typical Rose Company Stucco and plaster casts


Earth aggregate found in pricking up coat of original Limework


Samples of existing Lime plaster and proposed mix

On investigation and consulting a real expert this is likely hand modelled


sample of lime plaster prepared


New lathwork






applying pricking up coat









New lathwork to "Adams" room ceiling
















Float coat applied to lathwork


Pricking up coat to ceiling





Adding hair






Pricking up coat scratched

Collapse of existing ceiling  


Original lath work Circa 1770


Original sample of Lime plaster 



Float coat applied to Adams ceiling



Finish coat Lime plaster

Finished lime plaster

Small ceiling finished lime plaster



Adams ceiling floated and left to carbonate 








Plaques in Adams Room I think they are hand modelled stucco but others think they are cast  I cant tell at this stage but I bet I am right


Dont Know Whats occurring here





Drunk again











London Stucco






London Stucco

Roman cement repairs to 19th century building in a London Square

This is work on the rear of an early 19th century  building in Sutherland Square just off Walworth road in South East London.The stucco  was originally completed in a Roman cement mix but over the years repairs in Portland Cement have caused problems with the substrate, notably damp and decay of the soft stock brickwork.There has been the complete loss of the typical run string course at the top of the render/Stucco.

I hacked off the existing cement render and look what I found.We rendered the brickwork with a Roman cement mix and re ran the string course moulding and here are the results

I am becoming convinced that this type of mix was used extensively in London during thelate 18th and 19th century. Its ability to breath and less hard, dense surface benefits the substrate.It is also very useful for running and casting mouldings






Typical London Stucco


  Contrast the brickwork previosly covered 

with render and the bare brickwork 


Note the state of the soft 19th century stock brick


 brickwork previously covered with portland cement mix


fragment of render taking face of brickwork with it


scratch coat in Roman cement



Float coat 


floated surface


top coat and run string curse


Finished work with Roman Cement top coat


Note the reddish colour of the  Roman Cement moulding